The MS Society UK notes that one-third of MS patients have anxiety while the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America says it is one-fourth. The biological changes in the brain due to the immune system issues brought on by multiple sclerosis can actually cause depression and anxiety. Panic attacks are linked to anxiety. I had a long, very painful panic attack when my Sampson passed away this week that nearly sent me to the hospital.
So what is anxiety? “Emotional Symptoms of Anxiety
- Feelings of apprehension or dread
- Trouble concentrating
- Feeling tense and jumpy
- Anticipating the worst
- Watching for signs of danger
- Feeling like your mind’s gone blank
Physical Symptoms of Anxiety
- Pounding heart
- Stomach upset or dizziness
- Frequent urination or diarrhea
- Shortness of breath
- Tremors and twitches
- Muscle tension
And a panic attack?
- Surge of overwhelming panic
- Feeling of losing control or going crazy
- Heart palpitations or chest pain
- Feeling like you’re going to pass out
- Trouble breathing or choking sensation
- Hot flashes or chills
- Trembling or shaking
- Nausea or stomach cramps
- Feeling detached or unreal.” (HeathGuide.org)
What can I do to stop anxiety and panic attacks? According to the Calm Clinic, exercise, breathing techniques, and staying busy and active.
HelpGuide.org: Anxiety Attacks & Anxiety Disorders @ http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm
WebMD: Anxiety & Panic Disorders @ http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/panic-attack-symptoms
Multiple Sclerosis Association of America: Anxiety @ http://www.mymsaa.org/about-ms/symptoms/anxiety/
MS Society UK: Stress and Anxiety @ http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/signs-and-symptoms/mental-health/stress-and-anxiety
Health: Could You Have MS? 16 Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms @ http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20639076,00.html
Image from: anxietyreliefzone.com.